WOW! You have made it to third trimester. Chances are you are feeling a large range of feelings from excited and anxious to tired and stressed. Some things, such as getting regular exercise may be more difficult now. You also may have an increased appetite that seems hard to satiate – as your baby swallows up all of the nutrients he or she needs to grow. The third trimester is a period of rapid growth for your baby, and is also an important time to stay on course taking care of yourself and your own nutritional needs.
For the vast majority of women, most of the pregnancy weight gain occurs during the third trimester. This is just one reason that you want to avoid reaching for low nutrient, high-calorie snacks, even if you are craving them. Remember, the baby will take everything it needs first and foremost, and you will be left with the leftovers. This is why it is vitally important that you choose your foods wisely to keep your own energy levels high, and ensure your baby is getting what he or she needs.
The following snacks are not only packed with nutrients and complex carbohydrates but protein as well. Protein during pregnancy is very important. You should also be eating smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day to keep a constant stream of nutrients pouring into your body. If you are looking for some quick and easy snack ideas that won’t be packed with calories and non-essential ingredients, look no further. (Good news, these are all easy, portable and quick to fix!) The third trimester nutrition guide!
- Half a bagel with cheddar cheese. The cheddar cheese is packed with protein, and the bagel is full of carbohydrates that will keep your energy levels up. You can also try a bagel with low-fat cream cheese spread. This snack is quick and easy to fix and portable.
- Apples and bananas are literally perfect pregnancy foods! Not only do they have extra fluids and natural sugars to give you an energy boost but they are packed with nutrients. And their the easiest to take along – they need no preparation!
- Almonds! If you are not allergic to nuts, almonds are the very BEST choice for you eat during pregnancy. A handful of almonds can give you a lot of protein and energy and normally very easy on your digestive system.
- A pear and some cheddar cheese. Fruit and cheese makes a great power snack that you can grab on the go. And it will keep you satiated, because not only is it sweet, but the cheese is salty as well.
- Carrots, celery, cucumbers or even breadsticks dipped in healthy spreads such as hummus. You can find some very tasty varieties of hummus in your grocery store deli aisle, and you will be surprised at how good they taste. Plus, you can never go wrong with veggies.
- Whole wheat toast or crackers with cream cheese spread or cottage cheese. These are also powerful snacks that you can eat on the fly.
Also, remember to keep snacks such as crackers and fruit handy in your purse at all times. The most important thing to remember during the third trimester is that you don’t want to be hungry. Eat often enough that you never feel starved, and you will feel less likely to binge eat or grab foods that are unhealthy.
What was your favorite late-pregnancy snack?
Written By Stef, Mom of 4 @Momspirational
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a trained medical doctor. Health & Parenting Ltd disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information, which is provided to you on a general information basis only and not as a substitute for personalized medical advice. All contents copyright © Health & Parenting Ltd 2017. All rights reserved.