If this is your second pregnancy, you’re probably already aware that things are different the second time round. Your symptoms may be totally different, or exactly the same, but it will feel like a completely new pregnancy either way. Here are a few reasons why a second pregnancy is such a different experience:
1. It will fly by – whether you spend your time changing nappies, navigating the terrible twos, or helping your first child with homework, you will be distracted from the pregnancy. Gone are the days where you could just sit and think about being pregnant. This time round you’ll be so busy being a mum, you won’t be watching the weeks tick slowly by, instead you’ll be wondering where on earth they’ve gone.
2. Less time to focus on the pregnancy – you are likely to have less free time to think about the pregnancy, because you’re already busy taking care of a child. You may not put in as many hours into daydreaming about this pregnancy, but that doesn’t mean you’re not just as excited.
3. Less time means less worrying – a combination of less time and more confidence mean you are likely to spend less time worrying during this pregnancy. After all, you’ve been there, done that. There will be lots of things that terrified you last pregnancy that you will take in your stride this time.
4. Focused worrying – any problems you did face last time, however, you may find yourself obsessing over. Whether you had trouble breastfeeding, suffered from post natal depression, or simply made some parenting choices you’d rather avoid this time round, try not to get overly worried during this pregnancy. Knowledge is power, and because you know what to look out for, you can arm yourself with support and knowledge to fight your demons. Speak to your healthcare provider about any worries or concerns you may have.
5. You will worry about your love – you may worry that you simply won’t be able to love a second child as much as you love your first. When your first child was born, you felt a love so strong and overwhelming that it made you question whether you had ever really loved before. The idea of feeling such a strong emotion again can be difficult, but fear not, because you will. You will love your second every bit as much as you love your first, and will one day look back and laugh that you ever questioned you would.
Are you currently pregnant with your second (or more) child? What is missing from the above list?
Written by Fiona, proud owner of a toddler, @fiona_peacock
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a trained medical doctor. Health & Parenting Ltd disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information, which is provided to you on a general information basis only and not as a substitute for personalized medical advice. All contents copyright © Health & Parenting Ltd 2017. All rights reserved.